When Experience Meets Wisdom with “Wise Elder” and Hotelier Chip Conley (Episode #44)
While knowledge may be local, wisdom is global. Meet your biggest untapped resource: the modern “wise elder”.
Our thought leader of the day is Chip Conley, the experienced entrepreneur that the young founders of Airbnb hired to mentor them through their meteoric rise to business success.
In four years as Head of Global Hospitality & Strategy, Chip taught his award-winning methods to hosts in close to 200 countries. He is now an author, speaker and founder of the Modern Elder Academy. Don’t miss out on this gem of an episode, as we dive deep and learn what can happen when experience meets wisdom, and how curiosity can keep it fresh.
[00:01 – 04:46] Opening Segment
- I introduce Chip Conley
- The scope of Chip’s work and impact on the world
- What is an elder?
- Curious as they are wise
- Work at AirBnB and creation of Wisdom School
[04:47 – 12:48] The Difference Between Knowledge and Wisdom
- The place experience has in the workplace
- The need for generalists as well as specialists
- Connecting the dots through holistic thinking
- Relevance is an important medium to deliver wisdom
- Knowledge’s place in this day and age
- Knowledge has an expiration date
- You need wisdom across many domains
- Local vs. global
- Practical application of holistic wisdom
- A story from Chip
[12:49 – 21:55] Fueling Innovation Through Curiosity
- Chips thoughts on curiosity
- The fuel for creativity and innovation
- Leading through questions: ‘Appreciative Inquiry’
- A word about Conspiracy of Goodness Network
- Chips thoughts on Appreciative Inquiry
- What could help someone build on dreams and resources?
- Vision casting as an example
- ‘The Don’t Know Mind’
- Don’t no it all
- Be a beginner
- ‘Long Life Learning’
- Addressing challenges in a new way
- How do we solve our biggest challenges?
[21:56 – 27:32] Closing Segment
- Connect with Chip
- Links below
- What proves to Chip that it’s an amazing world
- Final announcements