Did you know 4 minutes of positive news reduces anxiety and increases optimism? Start your 30 day trial!
Institutionalizing Hopes and Dreams For Children with Linda Cliatt-Wayman (Episode #01)
Today’s episode is with the retired principal, book author, and thought leader, Linda Cliatt Wayman. Linda Cliatt-Wayman is a renowned education leader with an unwavering belief in the potential of all children. She uses her decades of experience to move educational leaders from knowledge to practice in ways that are transformative for children through on-site leadership development series, convenings, and keynote addresses.
You can connect with Linda on Twitter or visit her website https://www.currently-trending.org/ if you want to help and make a donation.
[00:01 – 06:51] Opening Segment
- Let’s welcome our guest for today, Linda Cliatt-Wayman
- She is the founder of the non-profit organization Currently Trending
- Linda talks about her Strawberry Mansion Chapter
[06:52 – 13:37] Standing Up To Fix The System
- Linda shares a story about her assembly programs of high schools
- Figuring out how to co-exist during the process
- Why students think they can do whatever they want
- How can we make this better?
- Linda’s team first reached out to the adults to talk about why the school was so violent in the past
- We have the talent and skill to make this better
- The power of having a conversation
- Linda gathered students on a round table and talked to them personally
- Providing hope to children who have lost hope
[13:38 – 28:17] Transforming One of The Most Dangerous High Schools in America
- Linda talks about her retirement
- She retired too early but her job was DONE.
- Linda talks about what they do at Currently Trending to make sure young people graduate from high school
- Kids were suffering to transition from 8th grade to 9th grade.
- In Philadelphia, we only have a high school graduation rate of 67%.
- There are so many CHALLENGES in their lives to keep them in school
- Pairing every child with a caring adult
- Helping the parents to advocate the schools for their children
- There’s a big disparity in urban education, kids are receiving an inferior education.
- Kids in 9th grade can’t read
- Linda shares her experience going to West Virginia
- All children have to have hopes and dreams in their darkest times
[28:18 – 37:35] Institutionalizing Hopes and Dreams For Children
- COVID-19 could be a pause and help us decide what we should optimize for now in education
- Linda weighs in on institutionalizing hopes and dreams instead of poverty and hopelessness
- Everything we hated before about school, let’s reimagine it!
- Why can’t we have people from the community act like educators?
- How college kids can take advantage of the COVID-19 situation
- The possibilities are enormous
- You can’t be what you can’t see
- Linda talks about her hopes and dreams and what inspires her every day
- If education can change my life, it could change other people’s life
- There are so many people out there who really go forth and beyond
[37:36 – 49:15] Closing Segment
- I talked about The Conspiracy of Goodness
- How can people help you?
- “We appreciate and need your donation”
- “We need a building”
- Total virtual learning in an urban city is not going to work
- What reminds you every day that it is still an amazing world?
- “The Sun still rises. Every time the sunrise every day, we got a chance to fix whatever we didn’t fix before.”
- Final words from me and Linda
- “Remember, if nobody told you they love you today. You remember I do, I always will.” – Linda Cliatt Wayman