How to Get People To Take Care of the Oceans with Nathan Robinson (Episode #25)
Nathan Robinson, his name may not be familiar but you’ve probably watched what he did a few years ago. Do you remember the video of a sea turtle with a plastic straw stuck to its nose? Nathan was the one pulling that straw out of the turtle.
Our thought leader for today is marine biologist, Nathan Robinson. His name may not be familiar but you’ve probably watched what he did a few years ago. Do you remember the video of a sea turtle with a plastic straw stuck to its nose? Nathan was the one pulling that straw out of the turtle.
In this episode, he talks about how that experience changed his view of the world and how he turned his job into a passion to protect the environment. Currently, he’s active on various platforms to inform global audiences about ways to conserve our oceans while grabbing our attention on what lies on their deepest parts.
- Looking for high-quality art supplies? Look no further! Blick Art Supplies is the perfect place to get anything and everything you need, whether you’re an expert or a beginner. Start here.
Connect with Nathan online and check him out on social media: Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Support Filming The Kraken – Cameras For Ocean Exploration.
[00:01 – 08:55] Opening Segment
- Let’s get to know Nathan Robinson
- He discusses this viral video
- The campaigns that followed the video
[08:56 – 21:19] Informed Consumerism
- These are the alternatives for plastic products
- Consumers are not just buying products now
- What are they looking for?
- People are naturally curious
- Nathan explains
[21:20 – 32:05] Science Communication
- We talk about people’s tendency to focus on complexities
- Join the Conspiracy of Goodness Network!
- Link below
- The secrets to communicating science to the people
- Make science “human”
[32:06 – 46:33] Basic Needs of People
- Listen to Nathan’s thoughts about climate change
- We can resolve it but…
- Stopping people from harvesting sea turtles eggs
- Here’s the first step
[46:34 – 58:33] Beauty of Deep Ocean
- What’s waiting for us deep in the oceans?
- Why curiosity is powerful in building human relationships
- It helps us pause and think about our problems deeply
[58:34 – 01:03:24] Closing Segment
- Connect with Nathan. Links below
- Nathan tells us why this is still an amazing world
- Final words and announcements