Building Extraordinary Relationships: The 5 Habits of Human Connection with Riaz Meghji
Riaz Meghji has over 20 years of experience as a broadcast interviewer and presenter for several brands. He now serves as a human connection keynote speaker, helping leaders build trust, meaningful relationships, and inclusive cultures in our hybrid reality.
Riaz’s unique insights have been featured in various publications like Harvard Business Review, Fast Company, and Financial Post. As an author of the bestselling book, Every Conversation Counts: The 5 Habits of Human Connection That Build Extraordinary Relationships, Riaz has shared his proven connection strategies with companies on a global level.
He’s also the creator of The Magnetic Presenter, an advanced presentation skills group coaching program that helps high-performing professionals transform their ideas into magnetic presentations that elevate speaking influence, impact, and authority.
With such a wealth of insights and diverse backgrounds, I can’t wait for you to dive into the conversation as we talk about building extraordinary relationships!
[00:01 – 6:12] Opening Segment
- I introduce Riaz Meghji
- Riaz shares a bit about his background
- The impact of Riaz’s book on readers
- Revelations from his background in broadcasting and interviewing
- Difference makers were those who mastered humility and discipline
- Realizing that every conversation counts
[06:13 – 16:15] Building Extraordinary Relationships: The 5 Habits of Human Connection
- Riaz talks about a story from his book
- “The James Brown story” – interview with Shaggy
- Every conversation has the potential to change a life
- Be intentional about every conversation to break out of autopilot
- Power relationships can be built with intention
- The effects of powerful listening skills
- We need to be present in the moment
- Our brains are hardwired to miss details
- How to listen without distraction
- What gets in the way? Start clearing them out
- Touching on some of the habits of human connection
- Listening without distraction
- Making ‘small talk’ bigger
- Evoking more positive emotion
- The happiest people = something to do, someone to love, something to look forward to
- Re-emphasize past connections
- Giving each moment your all
- “What’s on your mind?”
- Prioritize the person’s priorities
- People want raw and real
- Give your curiosity
[16:16 – 30:23] Connection and Conversation in the Virtual World
- Riaz talks about communicating over Zoom and other virtual platforms
- Keep the camera on and the self view off
- Don’t keep looking in the mirror
- Gestures proceed conscious thought
- “Call people UP, don’t call people out”
- Set expectations and encouragements before the meeting
- Keep the camera on and the self view off
- How to manage personalities and understand etiquette
- Use the opportunity for the leader to bring the quiet ones in
- Get people to share something unique about themselves
- Be the catalyst in the conversation
- ‘Efficiency is the enemy of connection’
- Things can move so fast we forget to “human”
- Slow down and get curious
- Toasting to the little things
- Praising makes people want to work harder
- Bring out the best in humanity and amplify our future on The Goodness Exchange
- More information on how you can join in below
[30:24 – 38:01] Every Conversation Counts: Social Media and Being Real
- Riaz’s thoughts on connection and social media
- It’s not about perfection, it’s embracing imperfection
- If you want to motivate people – “Go first!”
- Creation over consumption
- Using social media passively can trap us into comparison
- Be vulnerable first to remove fear
- Be careful not to overshare – operate with respect
- Removing the masks
- What are you sacrificing to hide yourself?
- “You rarely meet anyone for the first time physically”
[38:02 – 45:52] Closing Segment
- “I would rather be hated for who I am than love for who I am not.”
- You will never have 100% approval and that’s okay!
- How to connect with Riaz and more of his content
- Links below
- Final announcements
Join for as little as $2 per month
Connect with and learn from others on a member-exclusive platform. Ask questions and find help with projects, share trusted resources, request and attend workshops, and learn from others’ experiences to catalyze your work.
You’re not alone in caring.
There is a wave of goodness and progress well underway, all around the world.