Make a Living or Make a Difference? You Don’t Have to Choose with Roshan Paul (Episode #78)
Have you long desired a career path that aligns with your personal joys and values, AND allows you to make a comfortable living? Roshan Paul has spent his professional life helping nearly 10,000 people from over sixty-five countries accelerate their careers in social impact. Today, he’s sharing his top tips for how you can make a living and make a difference, all at the same time.
About Our Guest
Author of “The New Reason to Work: How to Build a Career that Will Change the World”, Roshan shares his story of how that can be possible. Roshan Paul is the co-founder of Amani Institute, an award-winning global social enterprise that helps individuals align their working life with the life they want to lead. Prior to Amani Institute, Roshan worked with Ashoka for a decade, where he designed and launched programs that supported over 500 social entrepreneurs (Ashoka Fellows) around the world. Raised in Bangalore, India, Roshan has a master’s in Public Policy from the Harvard Kennedy School and a bachelor’s in International Political Economy from Davidson College. He has guest-lectured or spoken at conferences at over fifty universities and other institutions around the world, including Harvard, Dartmouth, Georgetown, and the World Bank.
Listen in for a deep dive into how you can build a career around your values to simultaneously make a living and make an impact.
[00:01 – 10:40] Opening Segment
- Roshan shares a little bit of his background.
- Growing up in India.
- Moving to the USA.
- Violence and terrorist attacks.
- Return to India to work in non profits and social entrepreneurship.
- Starting his own organization.
- The Amani Institute in Africa.
- The global recession in 2008.
- Transition towards careers of social impact.
- The global pandemic.
- Reevaluate: Having a meaningful work and job.
[10:41 – 31:10] Make a Living or Make a Difference? You Don’t Have to Choose
- Opportunity mentality vs thread mentality.
- Diversity, inclusion, equity, etc.
- Roshan explains what impact means.
- Careers where the primary intention is trying to make a difference or solve a problem in society.
- Dichotomy: Doing good or doing well.
- Social impact practice.
- How mentality about work is changing
- Basic needs and social prestige in the past.
- Making an impact in the world.
- Ability to contribute.
- Achieve potential.
- How much time people want to spend in the office and at home.
- Move back to offices in a different way.
- Technology will keep improving to help people in virtual scenarios.
- Bring out the best in humanity and amplify our future on The Goodness Exchange
- More information on how you can join in below
[31:11 – 51:40] How to Become an Innovative Thinker
- Roshan’s insights about what being an innovator in our lives mean.
- Superskill that all people can have.
- Creative-problem solving.
- Creativity as a set of behaviors and skills that people can put into practice.
- Ask more questions.
- Uncover different elements of a problem.
- Living the problem.
- Immerse yourself to understand what is going on in a particular situation.
- How you look at the situation and come up with a radically different way of looking at the same thing.
- Taking ideas from one area and applying it to another one
- Finding the flip.
- Understanding what is the behavior change that technology is going to lead to.
- Doing is the best way of thinking.
- Learning truly comes when you do things.
- Ask more questions.
[51:41 – 54:35] Closing Segment
- Start to do something that helps you learn something new.
- How to connect with Roshan and his work
- Links below
- Give a review and rating, and share this episode with others
- Final announcements