Finding Your Best Self By Solving a Problem for Others with Sarah Leathers (Episode #87)
When Sarah Leathers saw that high school students were lacking community and sick individuals in her area needed healthy meals, she realized she could solve one problem with another. Now, her nonprofit Healing Meals has delivered more than 90,000 meals to those in need of nutritious food, all while connecting kids who need it most.
About Our Guest
Today, this Founder, CEO, and TEDx speaker discusses her story and the importance of continuing to make a difference in the world through food, purpose, and meaning. Healing Meals has been able to maintain its volunteer base because volunteers feel connected to the mission of the organization and are inspired by the positive impact they have on clients’ lives. Every day, they foster connections across their community through nourishing food, compassion and respect, and it doesn’t matter what their circumstance is or where they are in their life.
Let’s create a ripple of goodness in the world through love and food!
The Power of Moments – Chip and Dan Heath
You can connect with Sarah Leathers through Linkedin , or you can visit https://healingmealsproject.org.
[00:04 – 16:58] Opening Segment
- Sarah shares her background and work
- Studying as a mechanical engineer
- How your professional career won’t always align with your true calling
- Being inspired to start Healing Meals.
- What is Healing Meals?
- A nonprofit that helps others connect with their purpose and meaning in life
- Getting people into the kitchen to feel connected
- Trusting your instincts, and finding something bigger than yourself to help motivate you
- Everyone has the opportunity to change somebody’s life for the better
- Sarah talks about how Healing Meals has successfully maintained a volunteer base
[16:59 – 27:50] You Have the Opportunity to Make a Difference
- Sarah shares a few of their coaching methods
- Kindness and volunteer work does help change the life of another person
- The importance of taking care of yourself during a health crisis
- Food is medicine
- There is a place on the internet created to bring out our best impulses and our collective genius. Visit Goodness Exchange and get unlimited access to exclusive news and bonus content!
[27:51 – 38:20] Mending Yourself and Your Community with Food
- Sarah shares how providing highly nutritious food to people who are going through a health crisis is important in helping them recover
- Organic food that hasn’t been exposed to toxins
- Food that is to the individual’s dietary needs
- How food affects mental health
- The importance of good food and nutrition
- Connecting with others in order to continue spreading good intentions
[38:20 – 50:13] Pursuing Your Dreams and Achieving Joy in Life
- The importance of having a dream and staying focused on it
- having hope and to not giving up, even when the journey may seem daunting.
- Every moment matters
- The Power of Moments by Chip and Dan Heath
- Healing Meals is a place where young people can be themselves and figure out what they are meant to do in life
- It is important for parents to be on the same shift as their children so that they can have an opportunity to observe them and learn from them
[50:14 – 52:30] Closing Segment
- We love who you are, and not who you think you’re supposed to be