The Wonderful Things You Miss When You Fixate on the End Goal with Michael Schauch (Episode #97)
There’s a skill you can develop for discovering the brilliant hidden possibilities when your plans are dashed. In today’s episode, Michael Schauch (a mountaineer, entrepreneur and award winning author) pulls back the curtain on all our goal-setting to reveal the depth and beauty of human connection that can be waiting for us too, when we realize we are in a unique moment of transition.
Michael is a delightful story teller, enthusiastic about the wonder he finds where many would find disappointment. Today, he shares a remarkable story of “failure” in the Himalayas that turned into good fortune beyond his wildest dreams. We can learn from his experience and find joy when our own goals seem unattainable.
About Our Guest
After early success as an entrepreneur at age 15 – and over 20 years of global financial investment experience – Michael Schauch began to explore remote places around the world and find the hidden gems of perspective there. It didn’t take long for him to see that his business acumen and altruistic impulses could combine to improve the lives of those who touched his heart so profoundly. He has gone on to lead and support local and international mentorship, fundraising and educational initiatives. These include the education of girls and student mentorship in Nepal, outdoor youth leadership for those facing barriers to access nature and holistic Indigenous leadership development in British Columbia.
Michael holds an MBA from Queen’s University and is a member of the Explorers Club. He and his partner in adventure Chantal make their base camp in Squamish, nestled in BC’s rugged Coast Mountains and temperate rainforests.
Michael’s book: A Story Of Karma
Connect with Michael Schauch:
[00:00 – 05:40] Opening Segment
- How Obstacles Became Wins.
- Michael’s dream to go to the Himalayas.
[05:41 – 07:56]
- The Values We Have When Growing Up.
- The Bardo: Place of transition.
- Experiencing many incarnations across one lifetime.
[07:57 – 11:10]
- Noticing Things When You Are In Moments Of Chaos.
- Om mani padme hum.
[11:11 – 19:00]
- Who Is Karma?
- Life pulls you with other people you are destined to.
- The simple experiences are one of the most magical experiences in your life.
[19:34 – 23:09 ]
- Life Gives You WHat You Need At The Right Time.
- School for the Himalayas.
- The whole journey takes them back to right where they started.
[23:10 – 24:45]
- Changing The Fate Of Thousand Of People.
- It’s impossible to know the impact of our actions.
- It takes a snowflake to start an avalanche.
[27:40 – 29:27 ]
- A Gift Of Expansion.
- If we open ourselves up to receiving, we can have the greatest gifts.
- Nothing in nature happens randomly.
[29:28 – 34:17 ]
- Deciding What The Best Course Is At That Moment.
- Nobody has the right answer.
[34:18 – 40:51 ]
- Having Diverse Choices.
- Looking at the richness of what you have.
- Looking at life from a perspective of abundance versus scarcity.
- We have to understand both sides of the coin to have compassion.
[40:52 – 46:39 ]
- Money Doesn’t Give Happiness, Just More Choices.
- Are we helping in a way that’s empowering the person?
- Growing in a changing world and still keeping your cultural values.
- We have to learn from others.
[46.40 – ] Closing Segment
- Not get too caught up in our own expectations.
- Let’s support each other in our own journeys.