Did you know 4 minutes of positive news reduces anxiety and increases optimism? Start your 30 day trial!
What We Think About, We Bring About: Orchestrating Opportunity with Peter McCoppin (Episode #89)
If we have a sense of psychological safety, it frees up our creativity, our imagination, and our innovative mind. It allows us to test our assumptions and explore different ideas without fear of reprisal or judgment. It’s time for us to free up those energies and turn them into something with help from today’s guest, Peter McCoppin.
About Our Guest
Executive coach, keynote speaker, international orchestral conductor, and national host/broadcaster Peter McCoppin comes armed with proof that being emotionally available to those around us and leading with questions is a powerful tool for creating a compassionate environment. He also discusses how the neuroscience of the brain causes us to be drawn to those who are helpful, and how the helpers will rise to the top in times of trouble. Failure is a part of learning, and that by embracing this mindset, we can overcome difficulty and see the beauty in life’s challenges. With that, let’s jump right in and learn how to discover your life’s purpose!
You can connect with Peter by visiting www.petermccoppin.com
[00:08 – 14:33] Opening Segment
- Cultures that embrace creative conflict are more successful than cultures that do not
- Allows for new and innovative ideas to be explored
- True leadership is not conspicuous, self-focused, or braggadocious
- It is instead characterized by service, humility, and a lack of ego
- Focusing on helping their team succeed, not themselves
[14:34 – 25:52] Deeper Understanding of People
- Focusing on people and their non-verbal cues
- How technology has changed the way that people’s interactions
- Filling the gaps in our lives with contemplation, learning, and wonder
- Humor is a key tool for finding meaning in difficult situations
[25:52 – 41:04] The Age of Rising Up and Causing Disruption
- A story about how a skier’s accident resulted to success in career
- How the feminine age is a time of change and disruption
- Leadership is being fully present
- Listen to understand, not to respond
- Leading with questions, not answers
- Suspending assumptions and judgment
- There is a place on the internet created to bring out our best impulses and our collective genius. Visit Goodness Exchange and get unlimited access to exclusive news and bonus content!
[41:05 – 55:40]
- Leadership is all about asking great questions
- How do I know it’s the truth?
- What if it weren’t the truth?
- We talk about how leaders should possess openness and transparency
- Netflix CEO Reed Hastings’ book, “No Rules Rule”
- Being emotionally available
- Having an open door policy
- The power of words
- Words can have a powerful impact on how we perceive reality
[55:40 – 59:09] Closing Segment
- Peter shares some insight on how to find the best in every situation
- Final Words
- See links below to connect with Peter