Did you know 4 minutes of positive news reduces anxiety and increases optimism? Start your 30 day trial!
10 Stories That Will Make You Feel Grateful Right Now with Michael Shields (Episode #110)
This episode will feel like “food for the soul” because it is chock full of quick insights and 10 recommendations for places to head to next if you want your hope in the future rekindled. My guest, Michael Shields, is also a podcaster, and like me, he speaks with amazing people every week who fill him with delight and wonder. So today, we are swapping stories about 10 of our guests (4-5 from each of us) who come to mind immediately when we think about ingenious ideas and helpful perspectives.
About Our Guest
Michael is host of Beyond the Margins Podcast and founder of the online itinerary and cultural magazine called Across the margins. His gift is in leading others through a storytelling journey. Whether he is interviewing authors, musicians, activists, and comedians he finds the remarkable notions they are bringing to light and then asks all the questions you would want to ask yourself, if you were sitting there with a coffee in hand with us.
Best of all, the captivating stories Michael pulls into the conversation serve a vital function: they fill in the fascinating context that usually goes missing in our world focused on sound bites.
I highly encourage you to seek out Michael’s work on his website at www.acrossthemargin.com and check out the episodes in his podcast.
The bottom line is this: Michael and I are seeing a world of wonder, possibility and ideas that we want everyone to see as well.
This episode is a reminder of the beauty and wonder all around us.
Oh, and this episode was recorded around the holiday of Thanksgiving, celebrated in North America. It’s a time when we focus a bit more on gratitude and double down on things like compassion and generosity.
I saw this episode as a way to open a new perspective about the people we see around us every day and all that we have to be grateful for.
After the recording I realized that every “thought leader” that Michael and I talk to is just an “ordinary person” in other people’s lives… and they are full of complexity and uniqueness, and will be sitting around the Thanksgiving table with others somewhere.
And that pointed me to the fact that there are really no “ordinary people”… only people whose story we do not know, yet.
- It’s a gift to be able to talk to other people and dig in ideas
- Ep 92- Tree Beings
- BOOK: Tree Beings by Raymund Huber
- Finding the Mother Tree by Suzanne Simard
- Episode 125: The Other Dark Matter with Lina Zeldovich
- Look at the trash as a valuable resource
- Giving people permission to be passionate about things we don’t understand ourselves
- Let your freak flag fly, its beautiful
- Episode 105: Up From Nothing with John Hope Bryant
- Believing in yourself will propel you to greatness
- Positivity has gone through the waves
- Episode 100: How To Do Nothing with Jenny Odell
- Choosing where your tension goes
- Streets are for People, Not Cars? Bringing Joy & Humanity to Your Neighborhood with Blaine Merker
- “Do You Know What I Like Most About You?” And Other Ways to Make Life Happier with Dr. Hal Urban
- Don’t Wait to Live: Turning Pain into a Teacher with Stefanie Schaffer
- The One Big Problem We Know How to Solve with Christoph Gorder of Charity: Water
- I love this idea of chasing your dreams
- Make a living or make a difference
- BOOK: The New Reason to Work by Roshan Paul
- Tidbits of problem solving